As a supplement to the programs led by Dave Duarte on digital marketing, I’ve created a set of modules that act as a guidebook. We’ve chosen to share it, because you might find the sections useful as starters too. It’s easy to miss out the fundamentals as we specialise, so it’s not just one for the noobs.
It’s currently in use for executive programs at UCT’s Graduate School of Business, Ogilvy’s Digital Marketing Academy, social media program at Gordon Institute of Business, digital media training at Cairo University and ongoing custom programs.
This isn’t a textbook, it’s a guidebook to the digital territories for marketers, think travel-guide. Because frankly, we’re over the dull course-reader format. Those who come on the realworld programs can dive into their alumni networks with links and videos and presentations, but it’s still handy to scribble on something during lectures or to follow along on your screen. Or use it as a cheatsheet before meetings or give to a client/boss to explain what your online endeavours mean, and why it’s worth taking very seriously indeed.
These released chapters are under editing and updated, and you are most welcome to print them as handouts, use portions for posts, build on it - under the conditions of its Creative Commons License * (digital copyright).
In this case you can re-purpose and share, make derivative works – with credit back (attribution), not for commercial use (read: don’t sell it on) and that you share under the same license conditions, see below the download links for the attribution link.
[..go here to learn how to apply 21st century copyright to your works + exercise your right to use CC licensed works - music, books, pics, film as well as text-based content]
- Written in human language, formal voice trounced.
- The areas thickened with jargon and 3letter-acronyms like SEO come with handy glossaries.
- Bite-sized chunks of knowledge make for brain-friendly infosnacking – for those no longer accustomed to long-form texts.
- The grammar curmudgeon hasn’t been set loose on these editions. They are unedited in many portions, beware!
- The format is dense but bite-sized for reading in snippets if time – it’s a guidebook, not a textbook – so it’s not for one smooth sitting.
- The links are from end 2009 through 2010. Updates next mid 2011.
’nuff said, grab the chapter PDFs >>
- Internet Fundamentals 101 (updates at http://www.ogilvydma.com/category/chapter1/)
- Social Media 101
- Analytics & Campaign Measurement (updates at http://www.ogilvydma.com/category/chapter3/)
- Search Marketing & SEO 101 (updates at http://www.ogilvydma.com/category/chapter4/)
- Online Advertising 101
- Mobile Marketing 101 (updates at http://www.ogilvydma.com/category/chapter5/)
- Transmedia Campaigns
- The Attention Economy (updates at http://www.ogilvydma.com/category/chapter2/)
- Legal Considerations for Digital Marketers
(please attribute with the link below or link back to this page http://maxkaizen.com/guidebook/ with the credit)
* Digital Marketing Guidebook by Max Kaizen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. [BY NC SA]